Is there Radon in Arizona?
EPA classifies Arizona as Moderate Potential: all Arizona counties have a predicted average indoor radon level between 2 and 4 pCi/L. EPA also recognizes there are some hot spots though and EPA recommends that all the houses must be tested.
The presence of uranium in Arizona is not surprising to geologists. In fact, uranium mining was practiced in many parts of the state from the 1950s to the 1980s. Some Arizona residents mistakenly assume their home will not have a radon concern unless the home is located near the site of a uranium mine. However, the amount of uranium in soil needed to cause a concern for residential radon is far less than the amount needed to support uranium mining.
Radon incidences in Arizona are similar to the national average.
Arizona Radon Facts
- Elevated levels of radon are found in both new and old buildings.
- Radon can be found in buildings other than homes.
- Radon can be found in homes built on all types of foundations, including crawlspaces and slab-on-grade basements.
- The percentage of Arizona homes that contain radon above recommended levels is similar to U.S. average.
- The average radon level found in homes in the U.S. is about 1.4 pCi/L. In Arizona, the median of radon levels found in 4000+ homes during the state indoor radon survey (1987-89) was about 1.6 pCi/L.
- Radon can vary from house to house. The only way to know the level of radon in the house you are buying or selling is to have it tested.
- Sub-floor ductwork can increase the radon levels in your home.
- Air furnaces and air conditioners can draw radon-laden soil gas into a home.
- Radon levels in Arizona can often be higher in the summer air conditioning months than during months with milder temperatures.
- Arizona Radon Pros have mitigated homes/apartments in Flagstaff, Prescott, Payson, Superior, Cave Creek, Carefree, Scottsdale, Paradise Valley, Tempe, Mesa, Chandler, Queen Creek, San Tan Valley, Phoenix, Glendale, Peoria, Litchfield Park, Goodyear, Tucson, and several other towns around Arizona and the Phoenix metropolitan area.